Misfit's Reviews > Devil Water

Devil Water by Anya Seton

Aug 20, 2008

bookshelves: historical-fiction, read-and-keep-for-a-reread
Read in January, 2007

I am so pleased that this author's novels are being reprinted, I have thoroughly enjoyed each and every one of them, especially Katherine. This is a fascinating tale, based upon the Radcliffs of Derentwater (Devil Water), staunch catholics and loyal to the Stuart cause, and descended from Charles II via the wrong side of the blanket. Charles Radcliff, the younger brother has a secret marriage to a lower born woman who gives birth to the love of his life, his daughter Jenny.

The story takes you from the moors of Northumberland to the Jacobite rebellion of '15 to the tobacco farms of Virginia, and back again to London for a nail biting finish after the final Jacobite rebellion and the battle at Culloden. Seton has a wonderful way of setting her scenes so that you can almost feel you are right there with it. I also enjoyed her way of writing different dialects (the Northumbrians, and the Virginia "twangs"), which definitely enhance the reading experience.

All in all a highly entertaining read, and one I will pick up again and again over the years. It's not quite up to the same par as Katherine (that's a 10 star book in my rating) or the Winthrop Woman but definitely worth the time, especially for any lover of historical fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil Water.

Misfit OMG, look at the cover I just found

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Very period!

message 3: by Nona (new)

Nona love it, very dated though

Misfit What's funny is I don't recall any devil worshipy stuff in the book. Been about three years though.

message 5: by MAP (new) - rated it 4 stars

MAP Wasn't there that one minor character that did stuff with devil worship in a church? That minor minor character that I swear stopes out of the book half way through. He tried to kidnap the main girl for his little ritu, iirc.

message 6: by MAP (new) - rated it 4 stars

MAP Sorry, typedon my iPhone. Hope it's still understandable.

message 7: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Upside down crucifix. VERY nice touch. :D

I'd actually be more inclined to read it with that cover than the cover with "Detail of Random Artwork."