Karen's Reviews > Such a Fun Age

Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid

190448

This book peppered the internet over the last few weeks so I couldn't wait to get my hands on it and see what I thought about it. What I found most interesting about this book is how light and breezy the cover and the narration are compared to the actual story. Well not even the story but the story below the story. On the surface, the characters and the plot also seem breezy, if maybe a bit on the neurotic side.

But underneath it all, this story is saying so much without saying it. This books covers issues around racism, savior complex, identity issues, socioeconomic disparities, choices we make around how we show up in the world and even parenthood. There are deep, serious issues covered without the author being heavy handed and the reader feeling like they are being lectured at.

The best part of the book is how 3-dimensional the characters are. Each of the characters is flawed but in all the human ways. Not a caricature. You can see how they are messing up and how they are making poor choices but you feel for them. You cringe on their behalf. You root for them and get disappointed in them, and expect better from them. Just like you would from real-world people. It's a feat to pull off in any book, but exceptionally hard in a book like this, covering so many complicated societal issues.

I really enjoyed this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Such a Fun Age.

December 1, 2019 – Shelved