Fr. Ted's Reviews > Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans, Books 6-10

Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans, Books 6-10 by Origen

U 50x66

I appreciated this volume of Origen's commentary more than I have of other things written by him. Perhaps it is me, older now and I realize how brilliant a commentator he really was. Very creative, inspired, not afraid to admit he doesn't understand a line in Paul, or even that he is troubled by something St Paul says. His knowledge of Paul's writings is phenomenal. He is a true master in interpreting Paul. He is always looking for the deeper meaning of Scripture, so even in passages which seem completely comprehensible literally, he finds more meaning in the text. Some of these meanings can seem a stretch, especially for our more literal minds, but then he doesn't always say this is the only possible meaning, but a meaning the text suggests that helps us in some other area of life. Some won't like the method at all, but at times it is brilliant as it discovers meaning in every text.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans, Books 6-10.

December 1, 2019 – Started Reading