Silver James's Reviews > Last Day of My Life

Last Day of My Life by Lani Lynn Vale

bookshelves: 2019-books-read, audio-books, dark-and-dirty, library, suspense, romance, motorcycle

Last Day of My Life (Freebirds, #4) by Lani Lynn Vale Okay...here's the deal. If you want to read a LLV book, you need to strap in for the ride and expect a $#!+ ton of everything-that-can-go-wrong covered in crazysauce. I swear her books are like reading crack and I have a true love-hate relationship with them. My background is law, law enforcement, and fire service with a side of military. I abhor it when a writer gets those things wrong. LLV plays fast and loose with all of them and while I want to throw the book (in this case my phone because...audio book) at the nearest wall, I keep listening. After so many of her books, I just suck it up and keep going. Why? Because somehow, I get vested in the characters. Despite wading through all the crazysause--and there are times I feel I need hipwaders--I want to see the H/h get their HEA. I want to see what happens. And that's on me, so I keep listening. As near as I can figure out, the Freebirds series started things. But I'm almost exclusively audio books these days so had to wait until they became available. So I sort of meandered my way through all the series. And this bunch is an "incestuous" lot with family and friends scattered throughout and among, with references and hints and dangling threads that may (or may not) appear in some other book in some other series.

Okay, so now that all of that is off my chest, this book. Jack and Winter. Holy crap. Jack and Winter. The crazysauce is deep in this one. Dangling threads abound. I laughed and cried--(minor spoiler)(view spoiler) And there were other touching scenes that left my nose burning and eyes blurry. Which is why a keep doing the crazy dance with LLV. She finds a way to make her readers care so much about the characters. Jack and Winter met, fell hard, and he deployed. She was young but she was it for him, and he was it for her. And then crazy happened, as you can probably tell from the book's blurb. And then they were back and even more crazy happened. And...well, this is romance so you know there will be the pay-off of the HEA. It's how they get there that left me staying up way too late to finish. This one was a hellava ride.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Day of My Life.

December 1, 2019 – Started Reading