Shelby Loren Scott's Reviews > What Are Friends For?

What Are Friends For? by Sarah   Sutton

bookshelves: favorites

I was sent an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Remi and Elijah have been best friends since grade school--absolutely inseparable. One kissing mishap at her crush's party, check! This kiss changes Remi's whole perception of her best friend, sending her down a path of secret pining. She wants him, but doesn't want to lose him if the truth about their kiss comes to light.

Right away, the very first chapter sucked me in immediately. I was already connecting with the characters and loving them from the beginning. This is such a fresh, upbeat YA Romance featuring one of my favorite tropes: best friends to lovers. You can thank Kim Possible for that. The characters are realistic and relatable. Sarah Sutton breathes so much life into her characters, it's almost as if you've grown up alongside them.

Unlike most YA novels, the parents ACTUALLY exist, and side characters are developed nicely. Sutton's writing style is wonderful, with her diction and dialogue. Not to mention, it's perfectly descriptive in that descriptions don't drag on, but it's just enough to paint the full picture. I immediately adored Remi and Elijah from their banter in the first chapter; I wanted them to kiss right there! I loved the balance of angst and romance and pining. It was as if this book were made for me!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Are Friends For?.

December 1, 2019 – Shelved
December 1, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
December 28, 2019 – Started Reading
page 79
25.65% "I am loving this story!! I'm such a sucker for the friends to lovers trope!"
page 143
46.43% "I am... heartbroken right now"
page 172
55.84% "NOOOO"
December 30, 2019 –
page 261
84.74% "Grrrr I totally know who did this"
December 30, 2019 – Shelved as: favorites