S.J. Pajonas's Reviews > Touching the Surface

Touching the Surface by Kimberly Sabatini

bookshelves: kindle

You know how sometimes you pick up a book that you have preconceived notions about, but then you read it, and it changes you? That's what happened here. I thought I knew what I was going to read before I even opened the book, but I should have known better. Ha! The author, Kim, and I go back several years, to the time we were at a wedding together and she said she was a YA author looking for an agent. My, how times have changed! Kim never ceases to amaze me with her creativity, honesty, and enthusiasm, and all of those qualities are not lost in TOUCHING THE SURFACE.

Over time, I heard about this book from little side conversations, but I didn't know what it was truly about. It was lumped into a category I considered to be "afterlife books", and so many of these have a dystopian feel to them. Instead, TOUCHING THE SURFACE, is an exploration of connections between people and how they last through time and space. Whether you believe in heaven or not, past lives, karma, or nothing at all, you'll still read this and look at your significant other or best friend and wonder how they've managed to mean everything to you. It's mind-blowing.

I read this slowly, enjoying all of Kim's descriptions, and wondering what would come next. I'm glad I got to spend that time with Elliot, Trevor, Mel, and the rest of the Obmil crew. Thanks for a beautiful book, Kim.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touching the Surface.

April 4, 2012 – Shelved
November 25, 2012 –
68.0% "I'm slowly reading and savoring this one."
Started Reading