Alaknanda Agarwal's Reviews > The Watson Letters - Volume 5: Murder on Mystery Island

The Watson Letters - Volume 5 by Colin Garrow

liked it

Read full review here

This book was not at all how I was expecting it to be. Have to admit, I had some high expectations- given that I’ve read the original Sherlock work multiple times. So I was intrigued to read what the author had in store for us Sherlock deprived people! 😛

Without further ado, the author has combined two of the most prolific and well-known mystery personalities in this work, and very creatively! I like that about the book. The plot is also good, and Sherlock style explanations of conclusions are aplenty.

Watson is involved too, evidently. The surprise package is Watson’s wife, Mary. And let me just say, she doesn’t play the kind of role she usually plays in the original Sherlock chronicles. Intrigued? Good! 🙂
The setting somewhat reminded me of a P.G. Wodehouse type village colonial house, where there are lots of rooms and doors on each floor.

There were some niggles I had. The first- I am always used to having Sherlock in control of the situation, and he didn’t seem in control at any time in the book. And Sherlock is top in my list of favorite characters/books, out of the gazillion choices out there, so that bothered me.

Another thing was the changing POVs which got confusing because I had to constantly keep track of who was saying the words I was reading. Coming from another character’s perspective, expecially in such a tight thriller situation, could mean something entirely different!

The climax, even though it was well-detailed and interesting with may twists, also got confusing for me.

To end it off, if you haven’t read Agatha Christie’s ‘And Then There Were None’, I would recommend it before this one. And Then There Were None is a highly intriguing tale of how ten random people are called to an island under mysterious circumstances, and then killed off even more mysteriously.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Watson Letters - Volume 5.

October, 2019 – Started Reading