M.H. Thaung's Reviews > Mrs Pargeter's Public Relations

Mrs Pargeter's Public Relations by Simon Brett

I have fond memories of listening to the earlier books in this series some 20 years ago, and it was with curiosity I picked up this more recent volume.

We start with something innocuous—Mrs Pargeter attending a charity event—but things soon snowball with shady characters and suspicious happenings fitting together nicely. As always, Mrs Pargeter has a backup team to call upon for help in her investigations, in the shape of her late husband's various former business acquaintances who have access to... special resources.

The story is told in an entertaining style (I chuckled a couple of times, very unlike me). It's an easy read if you like your mysteries cosy and aren't concerned about plausibility. While there are plenty of fun clues to follow, there are also several unlikely coincidences and a couple of decisions I found odd. But we expect that with Mrs Pargeter's madcap stories, and it doesn't detract from the enjoyment.

The book is short, which I think a good thing. If it were longer, the charm of the larger-than-life characters would, I suspect, become tedious.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mrs Pargeter's Public Relations.

Started Reading