Stevie Carroll's Reviews > Changing Course

Changing Course by Brey Willows

bookshelves: reviewed-elsewhere

Previously reviewed on The Good, The Bad, and The Unread:

I’ve enjoyed everything I’ve read so far by Brey Willows, especially her most recent fantasy novel. As I grew up reading lesbian science fiction, I was very keen to get my hands on this book. And it feels very much like those books I used to read with added elements of the space operas of the late 1970s and early 1980s. Imagine if you will, the pairing of a lesbian Jenna Stanis (from Blakes 7) and the lesbian answer to a young Han Solo. Throw in a thrilling crash landing and a whole host of dangers on the planet itself and you have the makings of something quite, quite special.

Captain Jessa Arabelle comes from a well-off family on a wealthy and civilised planet and makes her living transporting tourists on intergalactic cruises. When an asteroid hits her ship, she and her crew are forced to land their escape pod on a backwater world, rarely visited by outsiders, unless they’re on the run from something or someone. Kylin Enderson is an inhabitant of that world, who makes her living as a prize fighter and a scavenger, all the while trying to keep up supplies of medicine for her seriously ill father. When she hears about a crash involving a fancy ship and a number of escape pods, she rushes to the area in search of anything she might be able to sell. She doesn’t expect to encounter a group of survivors in need of her help to get themselves safely back to what passes for civilisation on Kylin’s world.

When Kylin manages to arrange transport for Jessa’s crew and says she will be travelling onward in search of more crash debris, Jessa insists on accompanying her. The two face slavers, bounty hunters, and other hostile groups, but also make some friends amongst the more reclusive and transient people of Kylin’s world before finally being reunited with Jessa’s crew and having to deliver the news to Kylin’s friends and family that their city is in danger from those outside its walls.

While Jessa and her crew await transport off the planet, Jessa becomes increasingly involved in Kylin’s life and learns an awful lot about life beyond her sheltered upbringing and equally insulated life since achieving adulthood. When rescue eventually comes, Jessa and Kylin have to figure out whether and how they can build a future together, given their very different backgrounds, especially given that Jessa has now seen the darker sides to Kylin’s life.

I really, really enjoyed this book. It had all the elements I loved in the books I loved as a teenager and then some. It also had a far more epic feel than I was expecting and I really would like to see more of these two and the universe they inhabit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Changing Course.

November 22, 2019 – Started Reading