Tima's Reviews > The Baker's Daughter

The Baker's Daughter by Sarah McCoy

Apr 04, 2012

bookshelves: general-fiction
Read in April, 2012

Elsie and Reba are from different countries and different decades. But their lives come together when they need each other. Reba comes to interview Elsie about a German Christmas. The warmth of the bakery and possibly the people keep her coming back. This is the story of both women and the blessings they chose to pursue.

Someone said this book was like Sarah's Key. It IS about Germany during the war and a little boy hidden in the wall. But that is where the similarity ends. This story takes the horrendous parts of war and blends it with the gems of beauty that live in every person. The story will draw you in and give you a glimpse into reality for Germans during the war.
Life can be terrible. It's up to us to grasp the beauty and show it to others.
This story tugged at my heartstrings. It made me smile, cry and be thankful for the beautiful world that I live in. It's a book I'll definitely be recommending to my friends.

I received this book free of charge from Edelweiss in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Baker's Daughter.