John's Reviews > The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

M 50x66
Apr 04, 2012

liked it

This is literature. For people who don't like literature, it's a book where nothing happens, where navel-gazing characters interact without changing anything about one another. No challenges are overcome, no lessons are learned, no problems are solved.

For people who like literature, it's a fascinating dissection of loneliness, the futility of human communication, the divisions caused by poverty, race, disability, and non-conformity.

For me, it's a little bit in between. While I was reading, I found the characters' voices interesting. Their philosophy was so different from my own, that it was like a window into an alien mind. When I wasn't reading, I had no reason to pick up the book. There were no dangling plots to tie up, no intrigues to follow, and no underpinning story arch. The ending is extremely anti-climactic, with characters ending up almost exactly where they started. No one's life is improved. While there is tragedy, there is no catharsis.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter.

April 4, 2012 – Shelved
May 13, 2012 – Started Reading
May 21, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by David (new)

David Best explanation of literature I have ever heard. I have heard of this book, and we even recorded the movie on our family room TV but haven't watched it yet. I'll let you know how the movie is.

Dad