Jena Henry's Reviews > The Unexpected Spy: From the CIA to the FBI, My Secret Life Taking Down Some of the World's Most Notorious Terrorists

The Unexpected Spy by Tracy Walder

Tracey Walder shares her journey in this engaging personal story. On the surface, she shares her path from California girl, to sorority college woman, to her service with the CIA and FBI. She also goes deeper into her life, and exposes her feelings, dreams, and challenges. At time troubling, but always uplifting, her story will resonate with all readers seeking to learn more about modern global problems.

Tracey majored in history and had developed a passion for current affairs. Near the end of college, she applied for a position with the CIA. She was a new recruit on September 11, 2001 and was plunged into the business of hunting down terrorists and stopping dangerous chemical and poison attacks. Much of her job involved satellite surveillance. She tells of her travels through Europe and the Middle East and the horror that she experienced. Parts of her story are redacted, for security purposes.

Next, Tracey joined the FBI, to continue her desire to make the world and America safer, while remaining closer to home. Unfortunately, dealing with the FBI bureaucracy seemed to be more troubling than handling criminals. This is the second book I have read recently that tells how dedicated women were treated poorly by government offices.

I learned from this factually detailed memoir- about the commitment of Tracey and all the others who work to protect our freedoms, and I recommend it as a thoughtful story for our times.

Thank you Netgalley, authors Tracy Walder and Jessica Anya Blau and St. Martin's Press for the ARC. This is my honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unexpected Spy.

Finished Reading