Lindsay (pawsomereads)'s Reviews > Malice

Malice by Pintip Dunn

23203242

Check out my full review on my blog here! https://pawsomereads.home.blog/2020/0...

“One step, one kindness, one moment at a time.”

Malice by Pintip Dunn follows Alice, our narrator, who attends a STEM school for geniuses like her older brother Archie and his best friend, Zeke. The reader soon discovers that Alice, who would rather be a photographer than any sort of science genius, is the key to saving the future of the human race. It all starts when she’s forced to tell a popular-yet-nerdy jock, Bandit, that she loves him.

This book has everything: mystery, time travel, action, science, romance, deceit and a brooding, arrogant boy with blue hair. I mean honestly, what more could you ask for? This book has a fast-moving, yet well-developed plot that sucked me in from the very beginning. I love the way that time travel was handled in the story! It wasn’t something I was expecting from the synopsis alone but I thought it was really well done. I don’t want to give away too much about this as it’s an important plot point throughout the timeline of the novel but I truly appreciated Dunn’s inclusion of time travel.

Each character is very dynamic and I loved that the true villain of the story remained a mystery for so much of the book as these morally gray characters kept me guessing as to who was the culprit. The mystery aspect was such an interesting layer to the book and the characterization played such an important role in that. We really get to see the characters shift and change as they react to the world and future changing with them. In addition to the characters I really enjoyed the writing style with it’s amazing descriptions as well as the world building. It was clear that a lot of forethought was put into making this book and creating the idea behind the future tragedy that would rock the world. My one wish is that the end was a bit more flushed-out. It felt rushed to me and like we didn’t reach an exact conclusion as a reader. This is a story that I feel could have used an epilogue to make it fully complete. Otherwise, this was an amazing read to start off on for February!

Thank you to Pintip Dunn, Entangled Publishing and FFBC Tours for sending me a copy of Malice in exchange for an honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Malice.

November 29, 2019 – Shelved