Bjørn's Reviews > Empire's Exile

Empire's Exile by Marian L. Thorpe

Empire's Exile might be Marian L. Thorpe's finest work so far. The world, the characters, the events, even languages are so real that it's hard to remember that this book is (or pretends to be) fantasy. The third book in the series focuses on building and uncovering a relationship between two people forced to rely on each other, even though they don't even necessarily like each other. Each of them brings baggage and problems, societal norms they're used to, difficulties when it comes to showing feelings and reading the other one. Exile is a lot of things – a romance, a psychological study, a painting or rather a movie, a world so real that the book feels like historical fiction... only written by someone living in a parallel world.

Exile, similarly as the previous books in the series, is a read to savour and delight in rather than swallow in one gulp and move on. The pacing is slow and deliberate, with great attention paid to exactly the sort of detail that wouldn't be included in most books. Same as the rest of the series, this is not a book for lovers of fast-paced action.

How did it make me feel? I laughed, I cried, then at the end tweeted Mrs Thorpe to tell her she was a monster for what she's done in the last chapter. (Obviously I'm not telling you.) When I finished I was very tempted to immediately return to the first book in the series, but my TBR pile threatened me with murder, so instead I'll wait for the fourth instalment *sigh*.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire's Exile.

November 29, 2019 – Started Reading
November 29, 2019 – Shelved
November 29, 2019 –
November 30, 2019 –
28.0% "I finally figured out what this book makes me think of! The Wall by Marlen Haushofer x The Crystal Sword by Adrienne Martine-Barnes. Two of my favourite books ever."
December 12, 2019 –