Sophie's Reviews > The Woman Who Rides Like a Man

The Woman Who Rides Like a Man by Tamora Pierce

Apr 04, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, read-in-2012, young-adult
Read in April, 2012

ARGH, again with the incomplete stories! This book is so obviously the first half of a story that will be concluded in Lioness Rampant, and it's frustrating to see it ended abruptly as if it were a complete novel in itself. But maybe this was back when Pierce didn't have the clout she has now and couldn't get a fatter book published.

My main thought about this book boils down to (view spoiler)

I liked the continuation of feminist themes in this book. Alanna trains two young girls to be sorceresses, which upsets their tribe at first. It's hard to believe that just a couple of years earlier Alanna was still pretending to be a boy and terrified that someone would find out her secret. Now she's "The Woman Who Rides Like a Man," shaking things up and subverting expectations everywhere she goes.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman Who Rides Like a Man.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Fuchsia Rascal When this series was published in the 80s, most fantasy books [and ESPECIALLY fantasy books written by/featuring a female] weren't allowed the enormous page count that we're used to today. Tammy's actually written about it before, she said that things didn't really turn around in the genre until the success of the longer Harry Potter books [previous to that, the only exception I can think of is Lord of the Rings-- and of course, that was written by a male and featured almost entirely male characters]. This is why the Alanna books, especially, are so rushed and short-- she had to cut a LOT out. I don't know if you've read any of her other stuff, but this is really apparent in her books that have been published post-2000.

Sophie Yeah, I've read the Beka Cooper books, which are nice and thick. It sucks that she had to cut so much out.