Rachel's Reviews > The Djinn's Dilemma

The Djinn's Dilemma by Mina Khan

Apr 04, 2012

TLDR Recap:

Rukh O’Shay is a half-djinn assassin who is used to being on his own. However, Sarah White tempts him like no one else ever has….problem is, she’s his latest assignment. But how can Rukh kill the woman who’s stolen his heart? And will he be able to save her before someone else finishes the job he was sent to do? The Djinn’s Dilemma is a GraveTells Recommended Read!

Thoughts:

The description of this book is what made me want to read The Djinn’s Dilemma in the first place. A guy who falls for the woman he’s supposed to kill? Um, yes please! It totally sounded like the kind of book I’d love, and I’m happy to say I really enjoyed it.

Rukh O’Shay, the half-djinn assassin, is… hot. Really hot. He’s intense and passionate, yet vulnerable. His family viewed him as impure, a “mutt”, since he’s only a half-breed. Rukh’s powers didn’t develop until puberty, long after his family had abandoned him. He’s had to live on his own, not quite fitting in in the djinn universe or in the human world. He focuses his attention on his targets, and his most recent one is hardly what he expected.

Sarah White is a journalist, and when Rukh comes into her life, she can’t believe her luck. She has an immediate connection with him, but little does she know that the guy she’s falling for is a mythical creature who has been sent to kill her. The chemistry between Rukh and Sarah is sizzling, and I liked that even though there was an instant attraction, there wasn’t any instant love. Their feelings developed as they spent time together. And the sex scenes were VERY steamy (two words: shower scene.)

It’s not long before Rukh realizes he won’t be able to kill Sarah, and instead decides to protect her. In order to do that, though, he must find out who wants Sarah dead and why someone would want to kill this compassionate, bright woman. The plot is pretty fast-paced, and there aren’t any dull moments in the story. I thought it was interesting that Mina chose to write about the djinn, as there aren’t that many books out there that feature them. It was refreshing and different.

The Djinn’s Dilemma was a short but sexy novella with likeable characters and a good plot. I’m glad I got the chance to discover a great new author, and I look forward to Mina’s future work.

Memorable Quotes:

Talk about one hell of a fantasy...

“Am I hallucinating?” Her question came out as a croak.
“Yes, yes you are.” That seemed a much better answer than the truth.
She pinned him with her dark, direct gaze. “You’re just a figment of my imagination. A fantasy?”
“Yes.” He didn’t dare move.
“Then why are you still wearing clothes?”

Lucky, lucky girl...

Rukh kept his smoldering gaze on her as he moved with the music and with her. His hand grasped her at the waist and pulled her close to his side. He twirled her away, pulled her close again. She leaned back against his warm, broad chest, as his hips gyrated in rhythm with hers.

Well, at least he didn't crash. That's impressive.

“So tell me something about you,” he said.
“Like what?”
“Something secret.”
She leaned towards him with a smile, brought her mouth close to his ear. “I’m not wearing any panties.”
The car did a jig on the road, before Rukh brought it under control again. “Heaven and hell…” he said.

Final Thoughts:

The Djinn’s Dilemma is a romantic story about being accepted for who you are. It’s a unique novella that paranormal romance readers will want to check out! It’s a GraveTells Recommended Read!

Rating: 4 Hearts

Original review posted to http://gravetells.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Djinn's Dilemma.