Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader's Reviews > The Clergyman's Wife: A Pride and Prejudice Novel

The Clergyman's Wife by Molly Greeley

I love a Pride and Prejudice retelling, and The Clergyman’s Wife was so much fun!

Charlotte is the wife of a vicar, and as such, she has prescribed duties, including those typical of a lady at the time, but also involving visits to parishioners. She also attends the lectures by her husband and his patroness, Lady Catherine de Bourgh.

Charlotte is not the typical vicar’s wife, though. She chose this life rather than that of a spinster. She chose it but that doesn’t mean she’s not dying of boredom because she is.

Then, Charlotte meets Mr. Travis, a local farmer and tenant of Lady Catherine. Mr. Travis makes Charlotte feel valued and understood, and she quickly realizes his hold on her heart. Should she have love and passion in her life, or should she settle with safety and comfort?

The Clergyman’s Wife is a gentle, easy story. It reads smoothly, and the characters are well-developed. There’s a short surprise appearance by some beloved fictional characters- I LOVED that.

I found this a fresh take on the classic tale and one I enjoyed. The writing is lyrical, and I was completely enveloped in Charlotte’s journey towards the happiness she hopes to find. Both historical fiction fans and fans of Austen should relish their time spent with this gem.

I received a complimentary copy. All opinions are my own.

Many of my reviews can also be found on my blog: www.jennifertarheelreader.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Clergyman's Wife.

November 28, 2019 – Started Reading
November 28, 2019 – Shelved
December 4, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Glenda (new)

Glenda Nelms I’m currently reading Pride and prejudice and mistletoe by Melissa de la Cruz, an modern pride and prejudice retelling from 2017.

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda What an interesting idea for a Pride and Prejudice retelling! Great review, Jennifer!

message 3: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Excellent review Jennifer! Glad you enjoyed!💜

message 4: by Kara (new)

Kara Hansen Excellent review, Jennifer!

message 5: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Great review, Jennifer.

Virginia Wonderful review, Jennifer! I added to my TBR list. ❤️