Becky's Reviews > Elizabeth and Her German Garden

Elizabeth and Her German Garden by Elizabeth von Arnim

I had never heard of Elizabeth Von Arnim before. Just when you think you’re starting to get a hold of a certain period of literature, some gem like this pops up and send you reeling down some new pathway of literary wonder.

This is a relatively short story, written in a diary format that centers on the reflection of a woman in relation to life, family, and often using her garden as a foil for her religious sentiments. You learn a lot about the position of women in German society in the late 1800’s, and you learn a lot of women’s relations to one another, their families, and church. It’s distinctly different from English women. That alone makes is interesting, but it’s so much more.

It’s witty. Terribly witty. It’s so whimsical. Elizabeth’s reflections and observations are wry and hilarious; you can imagine the woman sitting in front of you cracking jokes with a straight face until to break into a large smile moments later. You can feel her intelligence and good humor seeping through the text into you. She frequently made me laugh. I feel like she really got me.

On top of that her descriptions of her garden are nothing less than poetic It really wants you want to go lay in the grass outside. It will give you a new appreciation for breathing in the sweet heavy scents of flowers in bloom, and the feel of the sun on your skin. Thank god it’s spring!!

I really could have read another several hundred pages and been happy. I love discovering a new author and will definitely look forward to downloading her other works from Gutenberg.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elizabeth and Her German Garden.

April 4, 2012 – Started Reading