Angela (Pooled Ink Reviews)'s Reviews > A Touch of Death

A Touch of Death by Rebecca Crunden

bookshelves: author-requested-reviews, earc-netgalley-copy, new-adult

pooled ink Reviews:
Thank you to the author for submitting this book for review!

To me the cover is rather underwhelming which is a shame because it hides the elaborate story within! This post-apocalyptic story is just the beginning and it was both exactly as described yet nothing that I expected. The plot is a gritty rollercoaster of a ride that walks with steady steps keenly aware of consequences yet unfaltering in its journey. Utterly intriguing and rippling with lots of twists and turns, we unravel this dark world of survivors that collides to a stop that will have you already reaching for the sequel.

I found the world-building fascinating but a map would be a nice addition just to help me mentally map out what's what and where. EDIT: There IS a map and it's lovely! You can view it here.

The plot is steady but never slow, it keeps pushing and marching on which kept me wrapped up in the story. I will say though that the very beginning had me stumbling a bit - the jump from Nate going to prison and Nate with Kitty fleeing in the wilderness was a bit too abrupt for me. I would’ve liked to have had a bit more context for their flight considering how afraid they were, how dangerous it was, etc. and then when they reach a phone Kitty just calls her dad and they turn around and go home no problem? A bit more backstory for why they were out there in the first place would’ve been nice because instead I was struggling to grasp onto clues and pick up pieces while also trying to keep up with their short but treacherous trek. It gave the story a bit of a muddled start for me but I kept on reading and fell into the story's dark web quickly enough.

I had not heard of this series before the author reached out to me and I'm rather surprised by that because it was a solid post-apocalyptic book. I'm glad to see so many great reviews for it because they're definitely deserved. If you're into the genre, or even if you're looking for a place to test the genre out, I'd suggest giving this one a try. Gritty realism and haunting possibilities meld together and weave into a tale of a "criminal" and a "princess" forced to align for the sake of survival and so much more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Touch of Death.

November 27, 2019 – Shelved