Rebecca's Reviews > Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China

Wild Swans by Jung Chang

Aug 20, 2008

bookshelves: asian, biography
Recommended to Rebecca by: Jodi Stapp

A completely fascinating and unfathomable story about the lesser known annihilation of the 20th Century known as the Cultural Revolution.

I was astounded at the strength of these three women and this family, particularly Jung Chang's mother and her sometimes overly rigid but truly principled father. What type of person could survive with character the horrific abuse brought on by mob-mentality brutality? What leader could care so little about his own people that he would alienate every section of society and cause the destruction of their history and civilization? Truly, it was China's darkest hour.

(I will have to change the quip I tell my children about the poor children in China after this portion:

"As a child, my idea of the West was that it was a miasma of poverty and misery, like that of the homeless 'Little Match Girl' in the Hans Christian Andersen story. When I was in the boarding nursery and did not want to finish my food, the teacher would say: 'Think of all the starving children in the capitalist world!' " [p. 246, italics added:] )

(By the way, there were a multitude of typos throughout the book. What do editors do?)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Swans.

message 1: by Ami (new)

Ami I think editors actually spend their time creating those dumb quizzes on facebook using ur for your and there for they're, etc.