Julia's Reviews > The Watson Letters - Volume 5: Murder on Mystery Island

The Watson Letters - Volume 5 by Colin Garrow

liked it

And Then There Were None and its countless imitations is one of my favourite sub-genres of murder mystery crime fiction. I also love a bit of Sherlock Holmes – original and modern interpretations – so Colin Garrow’s spoof mash-up of both seemed right up my street.

I must admit, I was surprised at quite how meta and self-referential this pastiche of Ms Christie’s famous book was, so strap yourself in for a surprising ride. This particular take on the classic tale is a quick and dirty jaunt around all the staples of both book series, with a nod to some impressive steam punk engineering. Murder on Mystery Island races along at breakneck speed and has an interesting twist on the original’s whodunnit solution.

The foundations of the central characters’ relationships are clearly laid in the earlier books in the series so you may wish to read them first. You’ll certainly want to have read And Then There Were None first, otherwise its twists will be spoiled for you.

But, if you love pure silliness, a gross-out movie style, self-aware and modern (ish) pop culture references, and you’re able to suspend any shred of disbelief, you will enjoy Murder on Mystery Island and Holmes and Watson – and Mary and Lestrade – as you’ve really never seen or heard them before.

With thanks to Colin Garrow for my copy of the book and to Emma of damppebbles blog tours for my spot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Watson Letters - Volume 5.

Started Reading