Patrick's Reviews > Stormdancer

Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff

Apr 04, 2012

Read in April, 2012

What's this? A Japanese Steampunk novel with mythical creatures and a strong female protagonist? Yeah, I'm all over that. Though honestly, you had me at "Japanese Steampunk."

I'm not giving this a star rating because the version of the book I read was an "advance uncorrected proof" of the book. That means it could undergo some changes between now and when it's printed in September. "It's hard for me to give it a number, since I don't know what stuff might be different in the version I read, vs the version you'll be able to read in September.

Simply said, I liked it. Plus, y'know, Japanese steampunk....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stormdancer.

02/17/2016 marked as: read

Ashley You also had me at 'Japanese Steampunk'. And again at 'mythical creatures'. And yet again at 'strong female protagonist'.

message 2: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim I'm once bitten, twice shy on trying to gauge how good books are based only on their buzz words, but as a fan of Japanese culture in general and steampunk, I'm adding this to my to-read shelf so I wont forget about it.'

message 3: by Tanus (new)

Tanus japanese steampunk is better than spanish harcore-rock.

message 4: by Jay (new) - added it

Jay Kristoff I feel like this just happened:

description

message 5: by Margot (new) - added it

Margot Hmm...pretty much, yeah.

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian James The anime Sakura Wars was very steam punk sir i suggest checking it out

message 8: by Guillaume (new)

Guillaume Jay I know next to nothing about anime, but I love Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, which is quite steampunk (in the preWWI period, juste like Ile-Rien books by Martha Wells)

message 9: by Colby (new)

Colby Bookout So let me get this straight. You got an advanced copy, told us how good it was and then we can't go get it right now and read it? Why must you do this to me?

Cynthia I really did not like this. It tried too hard to be Japanese and failed.