CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian's Reviews > Music from Another World

Music from Another World by Robin Talley

This queer historical YA was good, but not great. It's the kind of book I'd recommend to younger LGBTQ teen readers especially, but not to adults who read YA. The characters aren't especially dynamic and while there are some interesting historical details, I didn't feel like the period (late 1970s) really permeated the book. The dialogue, for example, was no different than you might see in a contemporary YA and there were a few times when I was like, uh, did teens in the 70s say that?? And the epsitolary format was stretched very far into unbelievable territory. But I appreciate the topic of queer history in a book for teen audiences and the well done bisexual representation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Music from Another World.

November 26, 2019 – Shelved
November 26, 2019 – Shelved as: queer
July 5, 2020 – Started Reading
July 5, 2020 –
page 42
13.82% ""I never knew I could be angry. I've always been too busy being scared.""
July 5, 2020 –
page 43
14.14% "Did teenagers in the late 1970s say ugh and wasted?"
July 9, 2020 –
page 205
July 9, 2020 –
page 215
70.72% "I'm a bit confused by why the cops at the protests in San Francisco are just sitting on the sidelines getting glares from the protesters. Wouldn't it be more realistic to represent some kind of antagonism from them?"
July 13, 2020 – Shelved as: gay
July 13, 2020 – Shelved as: bisexual
July 13, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by H (last edited Jul 13, 2020 07:36PM) (new)

H No shade but this is one of those authors where I’m confused every time I see another book deal from them... xD