Julie 's Reviews > Geddy Lee's Big Beautiful Book of Bass

Geddy Lee's Big Beautiful Book of Bass by Geddy Lee

bookshelves: 2021, coffeetable-books, music, non-fiction, performance-arts, history
Read 2 times. Last read October 21, 2020 to February 7, 2021.

Geddy Lee’s Big Beautiful Book of Bass by by Geddy Lee, Daniel Richler (Text & Editorial Collaborator), Richard Sibbald (Photographer), Terry Foster (Contributor), Alex Lifeson (Contributor) is a 2018 Harper Design/HarperCollins Publishers L.L.C. Publication.

Gorgeous Book!

In hundred percent honesty, I never gave the bass the credit it was due until I heard RUSH, and then had the pleasure of seeing them perform live. MTV videos also allowed people to watch Geddy play the instrument, and believe me, he takes it to a whole new level.

Once I discovered RUSH, I started noticing the bass contributions in songs much more often,and grew to fully appreciate the instrument on the same level I had previous bestowed my praise on the guitar, vocals, keyboards or percussion.

This book is almost like a love letter to the instrument from a true maestro and dedicated collector. The book is presented like a coffee table book, therefore, it includes pages and pages of photographs.

The text is very interesting and informative, appealing to both the casual fan, and the aficionado. The interviews included with other prominent bassists was a fun treat too.

This would be a fun way to learn about the instrument if you aren’t all that knowledgeable about it. Diehard enthusiasts will really love this book, and collectors will salivate.

Lee’s exuberance is palpable, and it is obvious he is quite passionate about the bass, but also about collecting. It only makes sense that Geddy would get into collecting vintage bass guitars and it is obvious he takes pride in the collection and has generously shared it with all of us.

All music fans will appreciate the labor of love- Rush fans will feel a little bittersweet, and collectors will recognize the passion and obsession Geddy reveals in these pages.

Outstanding!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Geddy Lee's Big Beautiful Book of Bass.

Finished Reading
February 6, 2021 – Shelved as: non-fiction
February 6, 2021 – Shelved as: performance-arts
February 6, 2021 – Shelved as: history
February 7, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by Regina (new)

Regina Oh man, Rush!!! This review really makes me want to set my audiobook aside today and listen to them. Their music always takes me back to my youth.

message 2: by J.K. (new)

J.K. Grice Super cool review, Julie! Yes, the bass is so important

message 3: by MarilynW (new)

MarilynW Another book that my husband would probably enjoy...great review, Julie!

Julie Regina wrote: "Oh man, Rush!!! This review really makes me want to set my audiobook aside today and listen to them. Their music always takes me back to my youth."

Thanks so much, Regina!! Me too! They were such a unique group. Good times! 💖 🎵

Julie J.K. wrote: "Super cool review, Julie! Yes, the bass is so important"

Thanks so much, J.K.!! 🎵

Julie MarilynW wrote: "Another book that my husband would probably enjoy...great review, Julie!"

Thanks so much, Marilyn! This book would probably make a nice gift! 🎵💖

message 7: by Ceecee (new)

Ceecee Wonderful review Julie 💕

Julie Ceecee wrote: "Wonderful review Julie 💕"

Thank you very much, Ceecee!! 💖

message 9: by Richard (new)

Richard Coincidently, I’ve just been watching a documentary film about Rush ........ amazing bass player and he sings as well!!
A bit of bass trivia - Herbie Flowers a session bass player was jamming/ mucking about one evening with Lou Reed and I think David Bowie when he came up with the famous Walk on the Wild Side bass line. Lou Reed co opted it, wrote a song around it. Walk on the Wild side became a massive hit and Flowers wasn’t even credited on the album!
Great review Julie :)

Julie Richard wrote: "Coincidently, I’ve just been watching a documentary film about Rush ........ amazing bass player and he sings as well!!

Thanks so much, Richard!! That's an amazing story! I had no idea! As to GL's vocals- he does have a nice set of pipes! 🎵😊

message 11: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Excellent review Julie, glad you enjoyed it so much 💖

Julie Maureen wrote: "Excellent review Julie, glad you enjoyed it so much 💖"

Thanks so much, Maureen!! 💖

message 13: by *TUDOR^QUEEN* (new)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Great review! 🎸My brother said Geddy's favorite bass was bought second hand early in his musical career.🎵 Got to see RUSH at MSG on their farewell tour 😢🙏

Julie *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Great review! 🎸My brother said Geddy's favorite bass was bought second hand early in his musical career.🎵 Got to see RUSH at MSG on their farewell tour 😢🙏"

Thanks so much. TQ!! Yes, he has pictures of the bass in this book- it's pretty beat up. LOL! My son and his best friend caught a show on the farewell tour too. RUSH appeals to multiple generations!! Great band! 🎵💖