Ella's Reviews > War and Peas: Funny Comics for Dirty Lovers

War and Peas by Jonathan Kunz

bookshelves: comics, fantasy, feminist-lit, humor, queer-rep, reviewed

I'm what you'd call a "strict reviewer" and I rarely give out five star reviews, but when I turned the last e-page there were no doubts about how I'd rate this collection. Obviously, when it comes to humor what really matters is what kind of stuff you find funny, but to get a better sense of what's going on here I'll try to summarize for you:

All comics have four panels, and most are gathered on one page each, topped with a fitting (and often funny) title. A few comics are split on two separate pages. The effect of these comics is great, because you have to turn the page to reach the "punchline". The art style is minimalistic, but pretty and not at all morbid or vulgar. The point isn't to rouse disgust or be explicit even when the humor takes a darker turn.

At first the comics can seem to not have much to do with each other, but there is a narration to be found. The same characters appear throughout the collection. My personal favorites of the reoccurring characters are the grim reaper, Bob & Bob and the slutty witch (& her vampire boyfriend), but the little ghost, the first sentient robot & the professor, and the dog follow close behind.

As for the humor, it's absurd. The supernatural both are and aren't normalized, animals think just like humans and everyone is simultaneously smart and stupid. It's socially critical and plays with our expectations and stereotypes, often taking the joke in an unexpected - often a little dark - direction. I wouldn't describe my own humor as a really dark or twisted one, but I enjoyed the book anyway. It's so absurd, but the art style softens the effect. I have a hard time to characterize any of the characters as "evil" or "bad" despite the objectively very bad things they do. And hey, the grim reaper just want to stop working and retire already! Who can't relate to that?

I think this book is perfect as a gift or to have out on the side table for your guests to look through if you want to keep them from peering around and wondering when the last time you dusted off the upper shelves was. I warmly recommend (though not for kids)!

I received a free e-copy of this comic book in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read War and Peas.

November 26, 2019 – Shelved