Jane's Reviews > Dust to Flame

Dust to Flame by Hope Ann

liked it

A fun new addition to Hope Ann's story world, with a hilarious and catchy narrator!

The character voice was so strong, and I could really feel the connection to the narrator (Rafe) because of that. The prose was well written and fun, as always.

While the characters were all well crafted at the core, some of the relationships never felt quite genuine, and seemed a little rushed because there wasn't enough time to develop them smoothly and realistically in a novel this length.

I loved how elements from other stories in this world were hinted at in this book. It really weaves another gorgeous layer into the story world and the context of Hope's other books.

There was a plot twist about 80% through the book, and I felt like it was never quite explained properly. I spent a lot of the lead up to and the climax of the story mostly confused, because there was too much action for the twist to be explained clearly. It made me feel left out and separated from the story at the most crucial moments, which meant the book lost a lot of impact for me.

I definitely enjoyed reading this, but it wasn't a favourite of mine, mostly because I felt like I missed out on several elements. Maybe I just legitimately skipped a page or two by accident, but the story wasn't quite for me.

I still recommend it if you've loved Hope Ann's other books! I hope you can connect with it better than I could!

I received a complimentary copy from the author and was not required to write a positive review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dust to Flame.

November 25, 2019 – Started Reading
November 25, 2019 – Shelved
November 26, 2019 –
25.0% "Rafe is about to get himself in a whole bucket-load of trouble and I am 100% here for it."
November 27, 2019 –