Kim's Reviews > Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch

Elizabeth the Queen by Sally Bedell Smith

Apr 03, 2012

bookshelves: biography, 20th-century

Aptly described as "compulsively readable", I could hardly bear to put this biography down once I started reading it.

I read a biography about Her Majesty years ago, when I was practically a kid, so when I heard that a new, up-to-date one had been released, I was so excited. I will definitely say that this biography was much more detailed and in-depth than what I recalled of that previous book. I learned so much about Her Majesty -- her devotion to the Commonwealth, her close relationships with men like Winston Churchill and multiple U.S. Presidents, how she's navigated the many turbulent ups and downs during her reign, and how she's helped to adapt the British monarchy for life in the modern world. Smith did an excellent job portraying the many events of the Queen's life and reign. Possibly my only quibble is that she was fairly quick to gloss over the Queen's early life, before her father came to the throne.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elizabeth the Queen.

April 3, 2012 – Started Reading