The Dark Krystal's Reviews > Haunted

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk

Don't be fooled, I may have chosen 5 stars for this novel, but not because I loved it. This book is dynamic.

This novel looks so innocent and harmless, sitting there with it's ghostly lavender and white cover and "Fight Club" was great, I'll give it a read.

This novel will stretch you to breaking point and beyond what you have ever read before. To give an example, when Chuck Palahniuk gives a public reading of the short story "Guts", the ambulance shows up before the end of it. People have fainted, vomited and moaned in disgust over this story. I was not able to read through the whole chapter, I felt very dizzy. And I think this is only chapter two. Things go awry when these strangers gather for a writing retreat and the rest seems like an experiment in how horrible people can possibly be to each other.

The format is an overarching story about the downward spiral of the retreat and peppered with the short stories of the attendees. The end short story is the best, if you can make it that far.

There is no "Love-hate" icon for this story. This book is horrifying in the experience; not unlike an STD it stays with you and you have to learn to live with the experience you had with it.

I want to recommend it, but I'm afraid it's like going to bed with someone and not telling them you have AIDS. The reason you don't want to tell them is that you want to share the misery.

You'll feel blindsided even if you are prepared for it.

I suppose this would be extreme reading; but is somewhat of an underground cult-classic. Bring it up with the artistic circles or geeks alike and you will have found at least one or more persons who's read "Guts" at least.

All in all Palahnuik has realized and exercised the right to be as explicit as possible, because books don't come with a Parental Advisory or MPAA rating.

I gave my copy away, but I downloaded the audio...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haunted.

Started Reading
January 1, 2006 – Finished Reading
August 19, 2008 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Your review is perfect, much like the book. Intention, intention, intention!