Melanie's Reviews > Heft

Heft by Liz Moore

Apr 03, 2012

I really enjoyed this book. The writing style was very unique, and I enjoyed the stylized conversations as well as the pov. There were times I wasn't sure who was narrating the next chapter, but sufficient clues and dialogue were evidence enough. I was intrigued by the ending in particular. It was enough of a surprise and yet, a perfect ending for where the characters were in their life process. Major props to Liz Moore here because in my opinion, the ending is the hardest to write. So many good books have been spoiled by sub-par endings that my curiosity at how Heft would play out made for the perfect stopping point when it actually did. Surprisingly so, but perfect in retrospect.

Another interesting point for me was how much the characters missed because of their shyness or embarrassment about something. Their relationships would have been stronger, their misread motives would be clear, and ok, I'll be honest, it would have been a shorter story that was probably not as intriguing to read. :) that's why characters are relatable, because of their shortcomings and weaknesses, and why changing them would be futile. How often am I misunderstood because I don't clarify, or speak up? How much better would our relationships be, even the most casual ones? 'Twill be an interesting discussion for my book club!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heft.