Janine's Reviews > Where the Crawdads Sing

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

Read this lyrical novel with both joy and discomfort. The female protagonist, Kya, proved to be a sister-of-the-heart with her bone-deep connection to her natural world, thus my bliss. My distress issues from her mostly brutal family ties and more specifically, the 2-dimensional villain of Chase, the narcissistic womanizer.
Perhaps we've been lucky enough only to observe the Chases of the world from a safe distance, yet in too many cases, he's the rapist, the stalker, and the abuser who steals innocence and inhabits nightmares. Tate on the other hand felt like an enticing unicorn; the perfect partner that most, if not all of us, hold close in our imaginations. Unfortunately, this also gave him a flat nature that felt less than satisfying.
For me, the strength of this beautiful novel came in the form of my favorite character, the natural world. Yes, Kya, a contemporary 'Lady of Shalott', spoke to me, yet the marshes inhabited me.
Thank you, Delia, for this lovely foray into a world I cherish because of your story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the Crawdads Sing.

October, 2019 – Started Reading