Russell Atkinson's Reviews > Somebody's Daughter

Somebody's Daughter by David      Bell

This hilarious parody of a thriller is a mash-up of The Perils of Pauline: Centennial Edition, Inspector Clouseau, and Michael Frayn's classic farce Noises Off. It starts with Michael, happily married, answering the door to find his ex-wife (whom he hasn't seen for ten years) standing there demanding he come with her to find his missing daughter, a daughter he never knew he had and which he doubts is his. Every chapter thereafter ends with a cliffhanger moment, someone in danger, a gasp-inducing big reveal about to happen, only to cut to another scene - a running gag that made me chuckle every time. Not a single action by any character makes any sense, but then, it's a farce and it's not supposed to. At the end of every chapter I tried to guess what the craziest thing someone could do at that point, and every time I was wrong. The author thought of something even wackier. The only mystery here is whether the author knew he was writing a parody. All I know is I got a kick out of it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Somebody's Daughter.

Started Reading