Jeffery Moulton's Reviews > The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris

Apr 03, 2012

bookshelves: nonfiction, history, 2012-books, biography
Read from April 03 to 10, 2012

I have long been interested in Teddy Roosevelt, but didn't know much about him. A couple of other books, including The Lost City of Z and The Big Burn made me realize just how little I knew about the former president. That led me to this book.

I really enjoyed this book. It was filled with great stories about this larger-than-life former president building up to the moment when he actually became president. The book moved pretty quickly and included lots of fun anecdotes and interesting facts that helped build a more detailed portrait of a very complex individual.

My one complaint was the writing itself. While serviceable, it wasn't as gripping as it could have been (with a few notable exceptions, like the charge up San Juan Hill). It felt too much like ready a history book rather than a gripping biography. I suppose that is to be expected, but a few other books, including the two mentioned above, have proved that it is possible to write history in a dynamic, exciting way. I was hoping for more of that in this book.

Even still, the book is a good read and loaded with lots of information. If you want to get to know the man they called "Teddy," (actually, his first wife called him that and afterwards he wouldn't let others use that name because it reminded him of her), I can't recommend this book highly enough.

Now on to the sequel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt.