Ben Zornes's Reviews > Mere Fundamentalism: The Apostles' Creed and the Romance of Orthodoxy

Mere Fundamentalism by Douglas Wilson

bookshelves: apologetics, theology

I had the privilege of reading this book for CanonPress' audiobook version, and then read it again with the elders of my church. Both times through I was thoroughly blessed, edified, and enlightened as to how to rightly hold fast to the apostolic faith. In Pastor Wilson's own words, "Held the right way, narrow truths create the broadest of hearts."

Wilson aims to show how fidelity to the Apostles' teaching, provides the basis for true Christian fellowship across denominational lines. In essence, we need fundamentals of the faith to distinguish between Christian and non-Christian; but these fundamental doctrines are intended to unite Christians and provide them a basis by which to work through more tangential doctrinal issues. He does a wonderful job highlighting why creatio ex nihilo is such a vital doctrine to inform our understanding the death and resurrection story which God is telling. He covers mankind's fall, and why and how God set about to redeem us.

The final chapter is a simple and short commentary on the Apostles' Creed. Mere Fundamentalism is quite a useful book for even the simplest of theologians. It fortifies the faith, and points us to see that Scriptural foundations are vital for the furtherance of the Kingdom of god.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mere Fundamentalism.

November 22, 2019 – Started Reading