Mike's Reviews > Santa Claus Bank Robbery: A True Crime Saga in Texas

Santa Claus Bank Robbery by Tui Snider

My two main takeaways from Santa Claus Bank Robbery are that Tui Snider is a very readable writer and she is a thorough researcher. This was my first read by this candid author, and I came away knowing that I’d like to read more of her work.

This book is nonfiction, which means it actually happened. Snider is not the first writer to tell this story, but I get the impression that her telling is the most accurate. No names were changed, and she was very good about disclosing her source material.

Santa Claus Bank Robbery Methodology

I think one of the challenges an author faces in telling a story like this is that the reader likely already knows what the story is about, and maybe even how it ends, before opening the book. However, it was clear to me that Tui Snider was up to this challenge.

Beginning with some backstory, Tui introduces us to the main players. It doesn’t take long, however, before she gets into the robbery. Not all, but most of the story takes place on that single day. Snider is very thorough and detailed when she reveals the events of that day.

Throughout the book, Tui points out any differences between her research and a previously published book by A.C. Greene. I was surprised with the significance of the differences. I have not read the other book - nor will I - but I suspect that Tui’s version of that event is the most accurate.

Technically Speaking

The book is well edited. There were only a few very minor SPAG issues.

The pacing of this story is surprisingly good. Once the action starts, the pace is quick enough to keep everything moving, keeping the reader engaged, yet still allowing the story to be told with sufficient detail.

If you are unfamiliar with this story, as I was, I think it’s a piece of Texas history worth knowing, particularly if you’re a Texan! I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Santa Claus Bank Robbery.

November 22, 2019 – Started Reading