Don Putnam's Reviews > A River Runs Through it and Other Stories

A River Runs Through it and Other Stories by Norman Maclean

bookshelves: 2020-books-to-read

I read this book my freshman year in college about 25 years ago ... wow ... that sounds like such a long time ago, but it doesn't feel like it. I read this book in the summer in my first semester. I had seen the movie a few years before and I was drawn to it because I often went fly fishing with my Grandpa and his fishing partner, Slim, up in the Owyhee recreation area in Oregon.

Needing a leisurely book to listen to, I thought I'd revisit this one. Like most books turned to movies, the book was better. The book has some differences, but the gist of the book and the movie are pretty similar.

The core theme, besides fly fishing by the river, is that of trying to help those who don't think they need it. But like a river - time moves on and you have to find a way to embrace moments in time. And finding those times to simply love others as they are, may be more about us than them.

His story about his time as a sawyer working with Jim the socialist was a good study of living in a rough and tumble world in the age of prohibition and bootlegging. We, in 2020, living in urban and sub-urban cities gawk at the wild back country of Montana a hundred years ago. But the lessons of sizing up a man (and whores ... and 300 pounds ones at that) might still be applicable today.

The other story about his forest service years was interesting - like listening to a grandfather talk about epic hikes, battles with fire and herculean efforts to tame the wild frontier and savage reptiles.

Overall, a good book with some good tales to whet your imagination of a previous epoch recently gone by.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A River Runs Through it and Other Stories.

November 22, 2019 – Shelved