Katie's Reviews > Dead Time

Dead Time by Anne Cassidy

Apr 03, 2012

did not like it

This review was originally posted on BlookGirl.
-------------------------
I have always been a big lover of mystery/suspense/thriller books. In fact, I devoured Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys as a kid, and before I re-discovered a love for YA, I read nothing but adult mysteries. So, my bar was set decidedly high before going into Dead Time. Unfortunately, this book failed to meet my expectations, which is a pity, because I feel like there aren't enough good modern mysteries for the YA crowd.

Dead Time had a very drawn-out, circuitous plot. I thought for sure that as the story advanced, the intensity and anticipation would heighten, but it was all very one-plane. There were also many little sub-plots, which left me unsure of what the actual focus was. Some things were rather predictable, while other mysteries weren't even addressed, though incessantly hinted at. I understand that this is a series, and likely more will be revaled in the next book or two, but who is going to read them if the first book is such a bore?

I've come to realize that characters will make or break a book for me. The plot can be so-so, but if I care about the characters, I will keep reading. I wasn't even 80 pages in when I realized that Rose and Joshua (whose name I thought was Jake) were utterly umemorable, and even though they did go through a lot, with their respective parents having disappeared without a trace, I just didn't care. Not one bit! I didn't even care about the two people who were murdered. I felt very detached from the story, from its characters, and therefore from the "mystery" that was unfolding.

The dialogue and overall writing were uninspired, overly simple, and fragmented. I was actually a bit offended, as I felt as if everything were "dumbed down" for the book's intended audience. The setting was decent, though simple. Not really much to cover there, unfortunately.

Overall, I just wasn't impressed with any one thing within Dead Time. I contemplated giving up a few times, but the book was short enough that I trudged on through. I won't be reading any more of the series, but I do know that some of you may enjoy it. I recommend borrowing this book from the library, first, before commiting your money to it, and I hope you like it better than I did!

*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Time.

April 3, 2012 – Shelved
July 9, 2012 – Started Reading
July 10, 2012 –
page 81
23.55% "Unfortunately, I don't care about these characters..."
July 10, 2012 – Finished Reading