Louise's Reviews > THE BEN RIPPLE:Choosing to Live Through Loss With Purpose

Apr 03, 2012

bookshelves: memoirs
Read in April, 2012

Story Description:

On August 12, 2008, Lisa Elliott received the phone call that changed her life forever. It was from her husband, David, on his way to the hospital emergency with their 18-year-old son, Ben who was subsequently diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. After a one year and one week valiant battle, Ben was promoted to his heavenly home. Throughout his life, but even throughout his death, Ben's Christ-like attitude became an inspiration for thousands around the world who followed updates Lisa posted on a Facebook blog entitled, "Prayer for Benjamin Elliott". It was appropriately re-titled, "The Ben Ripple" upon his death. This is not just an ordinary "journal", but a victorious and candid "journey" of one faith-filled mother who sought to use her story for the glory of God through her pain, loss and grief. It provides validation for those dealing with a family crisis, hope and inspiration for those who are grieving losses, and practical help for those desiring to come alongside those needing comfort.

My Review:

Once you’ve read THE BEN RIPPLE, you’ll be unlikely to ever forget who Ben was and what he stood for. This was a young man stricken down with a horrible disease and taken at the prime of his life. A very courageous and inspiring young man who tried, valiantly, to get on with life even in the face of death. His deep faith prevented him from self-pity and he whole-heartedly believed he was going Home to live out his eternal life.

Ben’s mother, Lisa is one very loving and brave mother with an unwavering faith in her God. Using her journals and scripture she told her story of what is was like to continue loving and parenting a son who was dying. Lisa’s courage and strength was unwavering in spite of all she faced for an entire year.

I couldn’t even pretend to even begin to understand what she went through and the emotions she had to endure to get on with the business of living for Ben and her other children.

I give this inspiring memoir two thumbs up and wish the Elliott family much peace and happy memories of their beloved son, Ben.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Word Alive Press and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available now from your favourite bookseller.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read THE BEN RIPPLE.

Lisa Hi Louise!
I would like to personally thank you for giving my book "two thumbs up". Thank you also for your well-wishes to my family and for honoring our son, Ben. You have captured the essence of my book when you say that "you are likely never to forget who Ben was or what he stood for." That is my prayer as I continue to "let it ripple" for the glory of God. Lisa

Louise Dear Lisa:

I feel very honoured that you would reply to my review personally. Thank for that, it means a lot to me because I meant every word of my review of your book. I can't understand the pain of losing a child as I've never had to experience that, but I can understand through your writing who Ben was, what he stood for, and the message you are trying to "let ripple" for all eternity.

I can see where Ben got his courage and strength from. You taught him well, Mom! Be proud of who you are, what you have done and what Ben has done and continues to do even in death.

I will never forget Ben, or you and your family.

Blessings to you and your family.

Yours in faith,
Louise

Lisa xoxoxoxoxo No words. Just thanks to God who is using our story for His glory.

Louise Lisa, ABSOLUTELY!!!!! And I thank Ben in my prayers every day as well.

xxoo