Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)'s Reviews > How to Love Your Elf

How to Love Your Elf by Kerrelyn Sparks

How to Love Your Elf is book four in The Embraced series by Kerrelyn Sparks.

I’m not sure why the author or publisher decided to label this novel as Embraced by Magic series when it’s part of The Embraced series. It's not a title that can be read as a first in a series. How to Love Your Elf needs to be read after Eight Simple Rules for Dating a Dragon.

I’ve loved the previous titles in The Embraced series, but unfortunately this one feel off the mark.

If you’ve been following the series, Sorcha, is a princess and ‘Embraced’. She was featured throughout the series as a women with a fiery personality, but we soon learning that that’s just a front. She’s scared to love to the point that she makes herself physically ill. I was very disappointed to learn that Sorcha wasn’t the go getter she was portrayed. She lacked confidence in everything she did, even her Embraced gift is next to nothing. She was dull and spent the novel pining and obsessing over the Woodsman.

The Woodsman had a sexy appeal. I liked his confidence and strong personality. He was the only thing I liked about this novel.

The store progressed at a snails pace. I was not invested in the characters or plot. The main plot focused on the angst caused by the romance between these two. We also don’t spend any time dealing with who the Woodsman is and his history. As for the ending it happens fast and things are put to rest way to easily.

You might be wondering why I read this one. Well I loved the previous novels, I also wanted to get the full picture on the Embraced prophecy; which is the secondary plot featured throughout this series, and to also get those surprise tidbits offered up in the novel.

How to Love Your Elf was not the book for me. It's my least favorite and I was sadly disappointed. If the blurb intrigues you, I urge you to give it a shot. Just because it did not work for me does not mean it won’t for you.

Rated: 2 Stars

*Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy provided by Kensington via NetGalley with the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments and ratings are my own.

angelsgp-seethisreview-blure

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Love Your Elf.

November 22, 2019 – Shelved
January 29, 2020 – Shelved as: 2020-new-release-challenge
January 29, 2020 – Shelved as: arc-review-copy
January 29, 2020 – Shelved as: netgalley
January 29, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

message 1: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Awesomely reviewed Angela! Sorry it wasn't a better read!💋😉💞👍

Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures) Kat wrote: "Awesomely reviewed Angela! Sorry it wasn't a better read!💋😉💞👍"

Thank's!

Heike *ohm* I read this as a first in a series - so the title said - and had the feeling I was missing book 1, 2, and 3 ... so I was right ...

Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures) Heike wrote: "*ohm* I read this as a first in a series - so the title said - and had the feeling I was missing book 1, 2, and 3 ... so I was right ..."

Yep I was surprised at how it's labeled, because it's not the first in the series. It's book 4. You need to read the others to understand the relationships and what is happening in the world.

With that said I still didn't fall for this like I did for 1-3. Our heroine was disappointing from what I'd gotten use to in the series and seeing her. Oh well! I am looking forward to the final book. That teaser at the end was great.

Aly is so frigging bored Angela it was labeled like this because this is anther publisher. 1-3 were by St Martin's Press and 4-5 are Kensington.

Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures) Aly is so frigging bored wrote: "Angela it was labeled like this because this is anther publisher. 1-3 were by St Martin's Press and 4-5 are Kensington."

Thank's for the clarification on why they changed the series title.

Aly is so frigging bored I still agree with you that there should be something in the blurb that tells you to start with book 1...

Megan Riverina Romantics I'm sad to hear that this didn't do it for you. I haven't read any of her stuff for a few years now but I always liked what I did read. I thought of this one as a first in series too but what Aly said about different publishers sounds familiar. I must have read it in the author's newsletter.

Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures) Aly is so frigging bored wrote: "I still agree with you that there should be something in the blurb that tells you to start with book 1..."

Yes they should put something in the blurb about starting wit book 1.

Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures) Megan Riverina Romantics wrote: "I'm sad to hear that this didn't do it for you. I haven't read any of her stuff for a few years now but I always liked what I did read. I thought of this one as a first in series too but what Aly s..."

I must have missed it in her newsletter, but they should say something in the blurb about it not being a first in a series. I've read some of her other work besides this series and I've always enjoyed. As for The Embraced I gave the firs 3 books 4.5/5 Stars, so I was sad this one didn't work out as I was hoping. Thou the 5th book we get a teaser for and I have to say I'm intrigued..... ^_^

Ashley (Red-Haired Ash Reads) If you go to her website it is listed as book 4 in the Embraced series. Maybe it was the publisher that made this change because clearly she is wanting it to stay in that series.

Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures) Ashley (Red-Haired Ash Reads) wrote: "If you go to her website it is listed as book 4 in the Embraced series. Maybe it was the publisher that made this change because clearly she is wanting it to stay in that series."

Ya the author website helps, but not everyone is going to look their. I know when I'm at my library or a book store I pop onto Goodreads to search instead of the authors site. I know it's book 4, but those just seeing the book or author for the first time won't know and may get confused. With a publisher change things don't ways stay the same. I can get that. I just think for those new to the series need to know some way that it's not the first book.

message 13: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Polowy Ugh! Thanks further review. I guess I'm glad I got it for free then. I'm not ready to buy three other books to be able to read this one.

Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures) Amy wrote: "Ugh! Thanks further review. I guess I'm glad I got it for free then. I'm not ready to buy three other books to be able to read this one."

Your welcome for the review. I wish I could have liked this better. The first three books where fabulous. This one continues the story of the sisters and their world.

Christy Romans It has a new publisher which is why it is under a new series even though its a continuation. Good review. Sorry you didn't like it better. Maybe the next book will be better for you.

Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures) Christy wrote: "It has a new publisher which is why it is under a new series even though its a continuation. Good review. Sorry you didn't like it better. Maybe the next book will be better for you."

Thank's for the info. on the publisher.
I'm excited for the next book. BRODY I've been waiting for.