Stevie Carroll's Reviews > Someone to Remember

Someone to Remember by Mary Balogh

bookshelves: reviewed-elsewhere

Previously reviewed on The Good, The Bad, and The Unread:

I have been utterly enchanted by this series so far, and was particularly excited toward the end of the last book to see that the next was likely to feature a significantly older hero and heroine (older than me, even). Lady Matilda Westcott is the sister of the late Earl of Riverdale, who has been the cause of much of the family’s trials and tribulations throughout the series, due to his bigamous second marriage. Most of our glimpses of Matilda to date have been as companion to their mother, the Dowager Countess, although we saw a different side to her in the last book when she visited an old friend to request his help in securing the well-being of a new addition into the family. Now that old friend is about to make another appearance in her life.

Charles, Viscount Dirkson, courted Matilda when they were in their early twenties and he had yet to inherit his title. He already had a reputation for wild living, and when he visited Matilda’s father to request permission to further the relationship, he was sent away in no uncertain terms. In the years that followed, he gained a far worse reputation as a rake, even after his subsequent marriage. Having met Matilda all over again, however, Charles finds himself fascinated by her and wonders what will happen if they resume their relationship.

Matilda is wary of Charles, in spite of never having met anyone else she wished to marry, and is also of the opinion that she is indispensable to her mother. When a trip to Kew Gardens is proposed for a group of their respective young relatives, Matilda agrees to go with Charles as a co-chaperone. The party has a splendid time, and Matilda and Charles are able to rekindle their feelings for each other. Both are, however, uncertain as to what their families would make of such a late marriage between them – if that is indeed what they both want – and how Matilda’s mother would cope without them. The Dowager Countess, meanwhile, has some quite firm ideas of her own as to what needs to be done.

I really enjoyed this story, even though I would have liked it to be a full-length novel rather than a novella. It’s always lovely to see couples finding happiness at any and every age, and this series has certainly excelled in that regard. This was certainly my favourite out of those I’ve read so far, and very much hope that it won’t be the last we see of the Westcotts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Someone to Remember.

November 21, 2019 – Shelved