Amanda (readlingoctopus714) Turner's Reviews > Lullabies for Suffering: Tales of Addiction Horror

Lullabies for Suffering by Caroline Kepnes

31983763

Lullabies for Suffering: Tales of Addiction Horror was a new type of horror for me. I didn’t know what to expect from “addiction horror” going into this one. The stories contained in this beautifully dark book explore the devastating desperation of various types of addictions.

I am sure in some way we have all been affected by addiction, whether we have a loved one who struggles to overcome the stranglehold of substances or obsessions or maybe an acquaintance who took a dark path years ago and grapples to get back to the light. I think that anyone, not solely horror fans, who has had experience with or an interest in addiction and the addict’s mind would truly enjoy this book.

The pure rawness of the approach to the subject matter in the stories is to be appreciated. There is absolutely no sugar coating anything.

My overall impressions:

💀 I thought the Kealan Patrick Burke story was a step away from what I normally read of his work. It was a bit tamer than what I’m used to, and therefore wasn’t a favorite.

💀 Lizard by Mark Matthews was a standout in this collection! The story line grabbed me and wouldn’t let go. I felt invested in the characters, and anything that involves a kid dealing with a parent’s addiction just tears me up.

💀 Beyond the Reef by Gabino Iglesias was my first story by this author, and I loved the “creature” elements. There was one dream scene involving a baby that had me holding my breath.

I thought the topic of addiction and it’s different facets was covered phenomenally in this collection. No two stories were alike, but all had their own unique takes on the topic.

🖤🖤🖤🖤 I am giving this one 4 black hearts ONLY because collections are tough, and every story wasn’t love for me, but I’d TOTALLY recommend you picking it up when it’s released in Jan. 2020.

Special thanks to Wicked Run Press for providing an ARC for me to read and review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lullabies for Suffering.

November 21, 2019 – Started Reading