Grace's Reviews > Cybele's Secret

Cybele's Secret by Juliet Marillier

Aug 19, 2008

I don't think Juliet Marillier wants me to get any sleep.

When I read _Wildwood Dancing_, the accompanying first volume in this series, I ended up staying up quite late to finish the book, something I've almost never done as an adult. (I can count on one hand the number of times) Well, true to form, book 2 also left me stifling a late-night yawn with one hand, and flipping pages with the other.

The book is well-written throughout, but when Paula is in Istanbul, it starts to drag just a little bit. But just at the moment I felt slightly restless, the book shifted into high gear (about midway through) and became impossible to put down.

I especially enjoyed this book due to the way I could personally relate to the protagonist. However, I still feel that the first book in the series has a slight edge in my estimation of it, and is a little bit better written in general. Perhaps this is because Marillier utilizes the "two big handsome men vie for the attentions of the lady who never knew she was beautiful" plot for this book...a plot that is featured in nearly every historical Christian romance I read as a teen, and of which I've had my fill for a lifetime.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cybele's Secret.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 4: by Bex (new)

Bex Hey Sidhe! I just bought this book. I'm so excited to read it! I hope it's as great as Wildwood Dancing. :) Can't wait to see what you thought of it. Happy reading!

Becca

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon I really liked this book :) Paula was a very good character and I was very happy at the ending :)

Grace The end was just one of those wonderful feel-good moments I love to read :)

Brooke She used it in the first one, but Cezar wasn't as likable and never came off as attractive, though she describes him thus. I think it was blatant in this book, but most importantly I felt it was dejavu from the first.