Dianne Santiago's Reviews > Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Apr 03, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed, swoon-worthy-guys, young-adult, vampires

I admit I'm not a fan of vampire novels, plain curiosity is the only reason why I decided to read this one. I've seen its books in most bookstores, heard so many people liked it, and the mere fact that it is so popular among young adults I thought I'd try it.

So after reading, I thought it was okay but not quite great to give it five stars. I liked that it obviously steered clear from what I didn't like to encounter in vampire novels. There's no sparkly vampires and the awkwardly cheesy love story, but rather it introduces a whole new concept like Morois, Strigois, Dragomirs, Dhampirs, and Guardians. Well, I can't say anything bad about the story because in all fairness it was good and it ended pretty well.
The love story was sufficient, and by "sufficient" I mean it didn't drag on too long and overpower the entire story. However, the whole time I'm reading the Rose-Dimitri moments I was thinking.. "Why does he have to be older than her? Why does he need to be Lissa's guardian?".... When Dimitri says the line "If I let myself love you, I won't throw myself in front of her. I'll throw myself in front of you,” it got stuck in my mind. That made me pause and wonder if they have a future together. I think they'd be great together. I guess I'll have to read the sequel to know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Academy.

Quotes Dianne Liked

Richelle Mead
“The spell. Victor said you had to want me... to care about me... for it to work." When he didn't say anything, I tried to grip his shirt, but my fingers were too weak. "Did you? Did you want me?"
His words came out thickly. "Yes, Roza. I did want you. I still do. I wish... we could be together."
"Then why did you lie to me?"
We reached the clinic, and he managed to open the door while still holding me. As soon as he stepped inside, he began yelling for help.
"Why did you lie?" I murmured again.
Still holding me in his arms, he looked down at me. I could hear voices and footsteps getting closer.
"Because we can't be together."
"Because of the age thing, right?" I asked. "Because you're my mentor?"
His fingertip gently wiped away a tear that had escaped down my cheek. "That's part of it," he said. "But also... well, you and I will both be Lissa's gaurdians someday. I need to protect her at all cost. If a pack of Strogoi come, I need to throw my body between them and her."
I know that. Of course that's what you have to do." The black sparkles were dancing in front of my eyes again. I was fading out.
"No. If I let myself love you, I won't throw myself in front of her. I'll throw myself in front of you.”
Richelle Mead, Vampire Academy

Richelle Mead
“Do you think I'm pretty?
I think you're beautiful
Beautiful?
You are so beautiful, it hurts sometimes.”
Richelle Mead, Vampire Academy