CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian's Reviews > The Kill Club

The Kill Club by Wendy Heard

bookshelves: american, mystery, queer, fiction

4.5 stars. What a story! This thriller/mystery kept me on the edge of my seat for pretty much the whole book. Jasmine Benavides aka Jazz has tried everything to no avail through the proper channels of police, child protection, etc. to help her younger brother, living with an abusive foster/adoptive mother Carol who withholds his diabetes medication. A mysterious organization contacts Jazz and promises a "permanent" solution to Carol. The catch? For someone else to kill Carol, she has to kill someone else's Carol. Relentless pacing, great flawed characters. Loved the lesbian and bisexual representation and the focus on working class East LA with a noticeable attempt to not pretend there isn't a substantial homeless population in the city. I wished the book had committed to the moral grey area of the organization and Jazz herself a bit more, but that's the only thing stopping me from giving this 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kill Club.

November 20, 2019 – Started Reading
November 20, 2019 – Shelved
November 20, 2019 – Shelved as: american
November 20, 2019 – Shelved as: mystery
November 20, 2019 – Shelved as: queer
November 20, 2019 – Shelved as: fiction
November 20, 2019 –
page 39
10.77% "Whoa this really grabs you by the throat right at the beginning doesn't it"
November 21, 2019 –
page 65
17.96% ""My hands hover awkwardly in the air and then land softly on her knees in my most no-homo way." Haha"
November 21, 2019 –