Stephanie Jane (Literary Flits)'s Reviews > Killer Resolutions

Killer Resolutions by Elizabeth McKenna

bookshelves: fiction-americas, fiction-crime

See more of my book reviews on my blog, Literary Flits

I hadn't read any Elizabeth McKenna novels before this one and was expecting Killer Resolutions to be a Christmassy cosy mystery. In fact it is much darker in tone and I found myself in agreement with the synopsis recommendation of the story being apt for Agatha Christie fans. Is this actually a relocated retelling of And Then There Were None? I'm not sure to be honest, but Killer Resolutions certainly makes the most of its isolated snow-bound Wisconsin setting for a nailbitingly tense atmosphere.

I wasn't initially sure how much I would like this story because I didn't easily identify with the characters, however the very first scene - depicting the tragedy the synopsis alludes to - is gripping and once McKenna started us on our travels to Wisconsin I was well and truly hooked. I don't think I've ever experienced the volumes of snow described here and I loved the idea of this secluded cabin hideaway - well, until everything starts getting scary anyway! The increasingly intense narrative is cleverly portrayed and I could understand how people's shocked reactions led them to act in the ways they do. Killer Resolutions is an exciting murder mystery which kept me glued to its story all the way though, and the plot has a satisfying conclusion. Highly recommended as a refreshing change from more saccharine seasonal novels!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killer Resolutions.

November 20, 2019 – Started Reading