Mary (BookHounds)'s Reviews > Sacré Bleu: A Comedy d'Art

bookshelves: 2012, from-publisher-author
Read in April, 2012

MY THOUGHTS
ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT

This is a sneaky little read, it crept up on me and before I knew it, I was in love! Christopher Moore will take you on a warped tour of the history of the color blue, but like all Moore books, there is weirdness and twists until you get to that moment of epiphany and the whole curious tale becomes brilliant. The story starts out with innocently enough with a baker / painter Lucien Lessard (don't bother googling him, he only exists in Moore's mind), wondering why his good friend and fellow painter Van Gogh shoots himself and then walks a mile to a doctor. He conspires with Toulouse Lautrec to find out the truth behind his "suicide". In his search for the truth, he makes some surprising discoveries behind the majority of painters that have had brilliant, yet strangely unsettling intersections all with the same colorman who supplies them all with blue paint. Weaving through the history and the great names of the Paris art scene, the mystery behind the color blue unravels into what becomes the story of those mythical creatures known as muses.

The characters in this book are so full of life and detail. The colorman is one of those quirky characters that can only exist in a Moore book , especially with a name like "poop on a stick". With the colorman's counterpart muse, known by several names, who longs to be free of the colorman, is still enslaved by the magical properties of the color blue. This is a truly magical use of a metaphor and links the whole story from murder mystery to love story. There are some wonderful inventive histories about painters explained as well like where did Van Gogh's ear end up, why so many painters dies of syphillis, and why so many artist abandon their work throughout the years. It also takes you back in time to the earliest of cave paintings and will answer that other question of why there was never blue to be seen there. See, now you will be googling cave paintings to see if that is correct.

I know Moore's books have all been optioned for movies and this is one that I really hope makes it to the screen now with the success of Midnight in Paris. This is the literary equivalent except that there are famous painters in the place of authors. Moore is the only author I have first editions that I will keep forever since I first learned of him in San Francisco at the City Lights book store when my husband asked for something weird. I really didn't get into him until I read Lamb and then I devoured everything he has ever written. I must admit that the only book of his I didn't *get* was Fool and now I may have to go back and reread that one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacré Bleu.

12/19/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna sounds like an interesting book one I will just have to read for myself. I always like those kind of books that you described. I myself am reading The Dead Dream Wakes by Ezra Holiday. It is the first book by him I am reading. So far I do have to say I like it. It is very interesting. About a strange building in a town that seems to be haunting some of the towns peoples dreams and while they wake too. That is about as far as I got so far. It has my attention though I do want to see where it takes me. :)

message 2: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Great review, Mary! This is on my list to read. I too have been collecting Moore since Practical Demonkeeping came out way back when.

Mary (BookHounds) Thank you!

@Donna - I haven't heard of Ezra Holiday but that ones sounds like something I would love!

@Tammy -- I have kept all of my Moore books.

message 4: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Yay, I'm so excited that you thought this one was good! (Then again, it's Christopher Moore, so of course it's hilarious, lol.) I love his books and have been an extra huge fan of Moore's since I got to meet him in San Francisco at a reading he did with the American Conservatory Theater for Fool. Coolest event ever. I definitely have to order this one ASAP.

Mary (BookHounds) Thanks Jessica -- I couldn't get into Fool. I tried but it didn't click with me. I am definitely going to try it again now. This one had that Ah Ha moment for me a bit later in the book than I would normally stick around for.

Mila Your comparison to Midnight in Paris is spot on.

Mary (BookHounds) Thanks Mila - I just wonder which came first. I also heard that there will be a new Dirty Job book as well -- super can't wait for that one.