Alyson's Reviews > The Memory Keeper's Daughter

liked it
bookshelves: 2008, book-club, fiction
Recommended to Alyson by: Andrea Day
Read in August, 2008

I love a good story. I love a yarn skillfully spun, where the characters or the setting or the plot gets inside of me and I feel (for those golden reading moments) like I'm immersed in the story—walking through it—discovering it—living it.

Alas. This is not that book. Who knows but what, if events were actually to unfold like this has been set up, it wouldn't happen just this way? But the story wasn't alive for me, not entirely. The only parts that lived, that shimmered around the edges and threatened to pull me in, were the sad parts, the injustices, the twists of fate that probably wouldn't really happen. Each of the characters has serious flaws, making them difficult to relate to or sympathize with. And yet, and yet, I can see that if choice followed choice just like this, it could all be real. It could all be just as it is here, on these pages. More tragedy than joy, more disbelief than predictability.

I suppose that, in my opinion, the failing of this book, and this story, is that it didn't move me. It didn't change me. The story itself was not enough to make me glad I'd read it, and the writing, well-edited but ordinary, didn't make up for deficiencies in plot or characterization. It's just another book I turned page after page, reading every word, setting it down at the end contented to be done. Not for a second longing to linger or wondering what might come next. Just a story, told, then ended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memory Keeper's Daughter.

message 1: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Ah, well then, I'll give that one a miss. Thanks for reviewing!