Andrea (Cozy Up With A Good Read)'s Reviews > Ten

Ten by Gretchen McNeil

Apr 02, 2012

Read from July 18 to 19, 2012

This review and others can be found on Cozy Up With A Good Read

I love the dark stories, and murder mysteries are the best type of those dark and creepy tales. I've been disappointed that I haven't found much of those in YA, but I haven't been reading YA for that long either. When I hear about TEN, everything about it screamed creepy (I mean look at the cover!) And honestly after finishing it I can say that this was definitely keep you up at night creepy.

McNeil really does not make you feel like you are reading a YA book at all. She goes into gory detail at times that made me want to put the book down because I could picture it in my head and was just disturbed. But at the same time I was loving every moment of this book. There are so many great twists along the way that I couldn't guess what was coming next. And the ending, I was completely shocked with everything!

There were a lot of things about Meg's character that I absolutely loved. She had a lot of skills and really thought things through to try and solve the mystery. But when it came to her friend Minnie she was a completely different character. I understand that she was the protector character always trying to be there for Minnie, but I felt that she lost some of her character when Minnie was around (part of me wished that Minnie wasn't there... lol)

The ending of this book was amazing and had me hanging on to the edge of my seat (though the whole book had me like that). Everything that I was expecting from this book was so wrong, I was constantly surprised by what McNeil did with this story. I loved how even though this is a horror book, in a way it is a contemporary book as well, McNeil adds in all the regular teenage issues amongst all the events happening around them.

Once you pick this book up, it will be impossible to put down. I advise not to read when you are stranded at a cottage (or maybe do... definitely makes it creepier when you can put yourself in that place). But wherever you choose, this is one book that makes the top of the list! Definitely can't wait to read more of McNeil's writing!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten.