Molly Ringle's Reviews > The House in the Cerulean Sea

The House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune

bookshelves: fae, lgbtq

Aw, this story stole my heart!
Linus Baker has a dreary bureaucratic job in a rather Orwellian city, evaluating orphanages for magical youth. But his special assignment to an idyllic island changes it all: an island housing nobody except a charming orphanage master, his six unusual charges, and a spunky sprite. It turns out that even though one of the children is, if reports are to be believed, the Antichrist himself, they're all basically GOOD kids. (And they're all unique and delightful, but my favorite might be Chauncey the friendly gelatinous blob, who wants to be a bellhop.) As for Arthur, the master of the place--well, he might just be the love Linus has needed in his life.

What I loved was how lighthearted and funny this book was, even when it was deeply touching. It reminded me of something Christopher Moore might write (though less crass--I say that with affection for Moore!), but it also says all the truly important things about caring for each other in society rather than punishing others for being different. This is my first read by T.J. Klune, but won't be my last! I like his style.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House in the Cerulean Sea.

November 19, 2019 – Started Reading