Caffeinated Fae's Reviews > Undercover Bromance

Undercover Bromance by Lyssa Kay Adams

did not like it
bookshelves: arcs-absolute-list, arcs-netgalley, did-not-finish

I typically do not rate a DNF, but I'm making an exception here. FYI I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I've been trying to read this book for a couple of days now, and I'm officially DNFing it. This book doesn't sit well with me. It's handling of sexual assault, and sexual harassment is, in my opinion, harmful. I know that a lot of people have enjoyed this book. I'm glad that they were able to overcome some of the red flags in this book, but unfortunately, I couldn't.

I got to roughly 57% into this book, and then I couldn't finish it. The victim-blaming mentality of Liv was something that I struggled with. Liv is a strong woman, and it was frustrating to watch her continuously bully a victim into action. There are so many reasons that survivors of sexual assault do not come forward, so to see this bully tactic was disheartening and honestly harmful. The continuous use of "what about the other people he'll hurt" doesn't do anything but put more trauma on the survivor. Both Liv & Mack are bullies, and I honestly dislike their characters more than I thought possible. A survivor's trauma should never be used as a stepping stone for revenge.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undercover Bromance.

November 19, 2019 – Shelved