Melissa (The Reader & The Chef)'s Reviews > The Seventh Sun

The Seventh Sun by Lani Forbes

did not like it

Will share a longer review after the tour ends, but for now all I can say is... this book was not for me. And as a history lover, particular about my own culture (I am Mexican!), The Seventh Sun just did not do it justice (this is not an #ownvoices novel btw). Won't even start on the plot itself (the trials were only TWO and super weak?!?!) and it's the typical storyline with girl-on-girl hate and a perfect main character (Mayana) who is ALWAYS right.

And quick history lesson: this story says it is inspired by Aztec mythology, but that's actually wrong. MEXICA mythology inspired this book. It's actually a disservice to call Mexicas "Aztecs" since, in short words, Mexicas were Aztec descendants who were oppressed by them, which led them to abandon their oppressors and later on build their own empire (Tenochtitlán​​).

But *sigh*, history loves to erase Mexicas and call them Aztecs. They are not interchangeable. And it's sad how everyone keeps making this mistake.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seventh Sun.

November 19, 2019 – Shelved
November 19, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
February 9, 2020 – Started Reading
February 10, 2020 –
15.0% "hmmmm..."
February 12, 2020 –
40.0% "Okay I don’t like this 🧐"
February 16, 2020 –
55.0% "Sigh... this book. As a Mexican, I’m disappointed."
February 17, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

The Countess of Bookton I know! Even in school was kind of confusing! I’m Mexican too!

Melissa (The Reader & The Chef) The Countess of Bookton wrote: "I know! Even in school was kind of confusing! I’m Mexican too!"

Hiii!!! ♥ Yes, a big part of the problem is that a majority of history books and research about Mexican history was/is done by foreigners who just love to erase identities to fit into their own narrative. School books included! :(

Tiffany Not gonna lie... I was really hoping this would be an #ownvoices novel and not another NWL who got inspired while on vacay.

Melissa (The Reader & The Chef) Tiffany wrote: "Not gonna lie... I was really hoping this would be an #ownvoices novel and not another NWL who got inspired while on vacay."
I also thought it was an #ownvoices book when it was announced but it isn't :(

message 5: by Skye (new)

Skye Kilaen Yikes, this sounds like a mess! :(

message 6: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Palmer Also I have a question isn't that a peruvian tumi at the cover?